Saturday, February 13, 2010

Fig and Olive

APPETIZER
FIG GORGONZOLA TARTLET - $14
melted gorgonzola, prosciutto, fig, walnut,
arugula, tomato, on a fine puff pastry

This appetizer was pretty good, but it was kind of hard to split with the prosciutto. I usually like appetizers that are already portioned out for you rather than having everyone just dive into it. I thought it was good, but didn't get to finish it thanks to our waiter's eagerness to get us our check and go home.

Main Course
FIG & OLIVE MEDITERRANEAN TASTING -$ 28
grilled free range chicken with rosemary & garlic, porcini puree - Porcini Olive Oil
grilled lamb on rosemary skewers, bell peppers, Greek yogurt & honey, couscous salad with figs
grilled shrimp & tomato skewer on a saffron rice - Oregano Olive Oil



This meal allowed me to taste a little of everything. The chicken was delicious as it was both crispy and juicy. the puree that accompanied the chicken was also delicious. The lamb skewers were also good. I really liked the yogurt sauce that came with the skewers. I don't usually eat lamb, but it was a nice change of pace. The grilled shrimp had good flavor, but it was a bit overcooked. The saffron rice was tasty and added to the dish.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Fig and Olive from friends and classmates, but I think the service ruined it for me. The hostess was extremely friendly, but our waiter was awful. I think he wanted to get out of work early, so he definitely rushed us. Not only did he take the appetizer away from us before we were done, but would also grab for my beer before it was finished. Its frustrating when you're trying to have a good meal and the service ruins it for you. O well, maybe the Fig and Olive in the meatpacking will convert me.

No comments:

Post a Comment