Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Breslin


An earlier post had a brief review on The Ace Hotel--home of The Breslin, Stumptown Coffee, and Sandwich No. 7. On my first visit, I went to Sandwich No. 7 which is right outside the ACE hotel. This sandwich shop is not like any sandwich shop you've been to as they have some of the weirdest sandwiches I've ever heard of. If you are an adventurous eater, definitely stop by and let the mad scientist of Sandwich No. 7 make you something delicious.

Unlike my first visit to The Ace Hotel, my second visit happened at night . A co-worker and myself decided to check out The Breslin for a drink after our shift. One of our managers had recently left Tabla to take on the GM position at The Breslin so we thought we'd go say hello and grab a drink.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to see our old manager, but we got to grab a drink and experience a great hangout. The Breslin was developed by the same people who brought you The Spotted Pig. I was very impressed by The Breslin as it gave you that pub feel, but you also felt like you were dealing with professionals who really knew the business. For example: the bartenders were wearing vintage t-shirts, which gave off the impression of laid back; but they mixed you a great drink. The cocktail menu featured around ten choices which were all made with fresh juices and homemade syrups. They definitely had some interesting combinations and all cocktails were $12. The Breslin also offered two types of cask-conditioned beers: The Spotted Pig Bitter and The Breslin Aberdeen. The Breslin also offered 5 different beers on tap and another 6 in the bottle. Most of the beer was from local breweries like Captain Lawrence and Brooklyn Brewery although they kept some traditional beer like Guiness and Stella. A lot of people seemed to go for the Mexican beer, Tecate which was only $6 and came in a can.

I opted to try the Liquid Swords cocktail which is rye whiskey, orange curacao, aperol, green chartreuse, and topped with an orange peel. I was very interested as to see how whiskey and chartreuse blended together as I thought it was an unusual combo, but it came together very well. The cocktail was very well crafted and I appreciate that especially because the bar gives back a casual feel. Its refreshing to know you could grab a well-crafted cocktail without going to a fine dining establishment. Normally the cocktail is served in a martini glass, but I decided to change it up and enjoy it like a Sazerac in a rocks glass with no ice. The orange peel contributed a great aromatic touch to the cocktail.

The architecture of the bar restaurant went very well with the concept. The 130-seat restaurant had leather-clad, curtained-off booths which I thought was quite unusual, but definite unique. The curtained-off booths and the overall architecture gave off a certain sense of intimacy if wanted.

Outside the bar/restaurant is the lobby of The Ace hotel where a crowd of people gathered to hang out and listen to a DJ spin. I would have liked to hang out here, but security was pretty tight as the hotel lobby was "at capacity". The security guard assured me I'd get in within 15 minutes if I put my name on the list. I only stayed for one drink so putting my name on the list was unnecessary.

I will definitely be back at The Ace Hotel whether its to party in the lobby or enjoy another cocktail at The Breslin. I also look forward to eating at The Breslin as their menu seems to focus around meat! You will definitely hear more about this spot so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment