Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Greenwich Street Tavern (399 Greenwich Street)


It was a beautiful day, so my friend Colette and I decided to treat ourselves to a nice brunch. We weren't sure where to go, so we wandered the streets of Tribeca looking for a restaurant with a decent menu and tables outside. This task was as easy as expected as we roamed around Tribeca for awhile. We were kind of looking for a brunch menu, but being a Tuesday--most restaurants were only offering lunch. We almost ended up at Bubby's but it was crowded and Colette wasn't really feeling the menu.

As we continued on our adventure, we came across the Greenwich Street Tavern which didn't offer outside seating, but had a pretty extensive menu. We both agreed that the menu looked good so we sat at a table near the huge open window which made us feel outside. The waitress was very nice as she recommended some dishes from the menu. She seemed very friendly with the two businessmen sitting next to us, so I'm sure the tavern has a lot of loyal customers.

We started off with some cocktails. Colette had the Bloody Mary which monstered over my 007. The drinks actually look awhile to get to the table--hope I didn't stump the bartender with my drink order. Colette's bloody Mary was served in a pint glass with tons of fruit garnishes including lemon and lime slices and a stick of olives. She seemed to enjoy the cocktail untill the very end when there seemed to be too much horseradish. My 007 was alright--pretty standard. Its not like they used freshly squeezed OJ!

After taking the waitress's recommendation, I ordered the pulled pork sandwich. Sometimes I get weary of ordering pulled pork for places not known for their BBQ. The Greenwich Street Tavern impressed me with both the flavor of the pulled pork and the serving size. The sandwich was pretty big and came with fries.

Colette ordered some kind of chicken sandwich that I didn't get to taste because I was so full from my sandwich. She enjoyed it very much whereas she made the busser take it away before she ate anymore. Colette then got a Mimosa as I stuck with another 007.

The server seemed to have a good grasp on the food, but her best characteristic was her charisma. She connected well with her guest and made them feel very comfortable. She even cracked a joke about the bartender when Colette asked what they use in a Bellini. The tavern itself was pretty big and got pretty packed at lunch. I would definitely recommend this place for lunch if in the Tribeca area. The food is good and the prices are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment