Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Grade Pending....

With New York City new letter-grading system in place, I find myself constantly questioning the cleanliness of establishments that I normally wouldn't think twice about going to. "B" is a grade I'd be ok with when it came to quizzes in school, but it suddenly doesn't seem ok for me to eat at a "B" when there is probably an "A" around the corner.

The grading has probably hurt many restaurants, as diners shy away from anything other than an "A". There is also "Grade Pending" which has showed up in place of a letter grade. In many cases, restaurants fight for a better grade than what they were originally gotten. Although these signs have been on some of NYC top restaurants, the "grade pending" sign still brings along a sense of doubt.

Yesterday, I went to Shinji after my friend Kristen had recommended it for good sushi. Located on pearl street right around the corner from my apartment, Shinju would be a great local spot--maybe even my go-to sushi place.

I was a bit turned off by the "grade pending" sign outside Shinju so I looked at the menu and contemplated my next move. Sushi is something I'm very picky about, because the idea of unfresh fish frightens me.

After scrolling through the menu 3 or 4 times, I decided to go in and order the Maki Combo B which was a combination platter of three rolls: Spicy Tuna, Alaska (smoked salmon/cucumber/avocado)/BBQ eel cucumber. I stood by the counter and watched the chef prepare my rolls wondering how fresh the ingredients were.

Turns out the sushi was good! All the ingredients were fresh and delicious. If you don't feel like spending the money on Haru of Suteishi, Shinju is a good alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment